As per last week’s post, I am trying to change my lifestyle to something sustainably healthier. This is obviously no easy task. I think the hardest thing for me right now is knowing that there are things I will have to cut out. Once I get to a place where I can have a bowl of pasta without wanting to eat only pasta from then on, can I slowly let those things back into my diet.
I love baking. My mom and I would do it together ever since I was little and it always made me happy, probably because we would bake cakes, cookies, her famous magic bars, among other tasty treats. Baking is not something that I want to give up. So, thank god for Pinterest: the holy bible for healthy recipes! The whole concept of changing your lifestyle is not to deprive yourself, but instead substitute for healthier options and learn to live in moderation! So, as I was scrolling through my food section of Pinterest for inspiration, I saw some recipes for homemade pop tarts. Sold!
After carefully consulting all the recipes, mom and I decided to combine the best features of all of them and make our own! Below is the best whole wheat, mostly sugar-free and vegan strawberry pop tarts!
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup vegan butter, cut into small pieces, refrigerated
6 tbsp ice cold water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 jar of sugar-free jam of your choice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons soy milk
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt and sugar. Then, add the butter and combine using a pastry blender. Blend until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Don’t worry if they’re not all perfect.
- Drizzle the ice water over the dough until it comes together. Pack the dough into a disk shape, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- During this hour you can move to making the glaze for the top. Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla, and soy milk to make the glaze. I added a touch of lemon zest to this mixture because I used strawberry jam. It gave the glaze the perfect lemony combo to pair with the strawberry filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle flour over the surface that you will roll the dough out. Then, roll out the dough, cutting it into the sizes you want your tarts to be. Use the scraps to make more if you need to.
- Brush the egg wash onto your tart pieces.
- Use a teaspoon to spoon your jam into the middle of half of your pop tarts.
- Use the other halves to cover those with jam, and use a fork to press the edges, closing the pastry.
- Place the tarts in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, and then pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and flaky.
- Let cool, drizzle your icing, and then enjoy!!!